Saturday, April 22, 2006

Brooklyn Trolley Line.

The Brooklyn Line (1903-1927) was the child of the approaching apex of the trolley boom years in Portland. The City & Suburban Railway Company commenced service in 1903. The line's western terminus was a downtown loop between 3rd and 1st Streets, crossing the Morrison Bridge, turning south on Grand, then east on Woodward and Powell before reaching its southeastern terminus at 21st and Bush.

image hosted by Photobucket.

A 1904 map of the City & Suburban and the Portland Railway Co./Oregon Water & Power Co. trolley networks shows three large buildings designated as the "S.P. Car Shops" to the immediate south of 21st and Bush, around-abouts 23rd & Gladstone or so. Its worth noting that competitor Portland Railway/Oregon Water & Power ran the Hawthorne Line to the north and the Sellwood line nearby to the west on Milwaukie Street. That said, its a fair guess the intention of the Brooklyn line was to poach fares from the Brooklyn railyards, especially the adjacent shops.

image hosted by Photobucket.
Brooklyn Car 216.

In 1927 PEPCO folded the Powell & Bush sections of the line into the Bridge Transfer Line.

In the following photo we see a C&S-era "Brooklyn" trolley on downtown Morrison Street during the 1905 Lewis & Clark Centennial Exposition. The car is signed for "Powell & Car Shops."

image hosted by Photobucket.
City & Suburban Brooklyn Line Car 18 on W. Morrison c.1905

Note the near continuous line of cars waiting on the track, presumably heading northwest to the fairgrounds.


No comments: