Built in 1928 by Portland Railway, Light and Power Company (today's PGE), the neon crown atop it (proudly? defiantly? hubristically?) trumpted POWER, HEAT, LIGHT, GAS in each cardinal direction. This was the building built by the trolleys that built Portland, make no mistake.
At 16 stories of Italianate power, in 1957 the lower north and south wings were raised to their current height of 12 stories each.
Today its sort of boxed in by taller, more modern (and blander) buildings.